Meal portmanteaux

Yesterday I mentioned portmanteau words - words that are a combination of the sound and meaning of two other words. 'Brunch' is a good example, combining the sound and meaning of 'breakfast' and lunch'.

But when I was in Moscow a few years ago I came across another meal portmanteau - 'linner'. Linner is afternoon meal somewhere between lunch and dinner which many of the more upmarket hotels in the city offered.

Having never come across linner in the UK, it was strange to see it regularly in a non-English-speaking country. Perhaps it is a word – and concept – the American expats brought over with them. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I think I'm done with portmanteaux for the moment – but if you're not, there are plenty of others to choose from...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um i'm not sure I like portmanteau's. I can see that they might be useful, but having looked at the link at the bottom of the page

Zorse= Zebra+ Horse
Bohunk= Bohemian+ Hungarian
Liger= Lion+ Tiger

Really, do people use these words?! I think somebody is having a laugh.

JD (The Engine Room) said...

Hmm I've heard of a 'liger' - we were talking about them in the office the other day because apparently they are the largest cats in the world. If a male tiger and a female lion breed, the result is a liger, but if a female tiger and a male lion breed, you get a tigon. There's lots about both on Wikipedia if you are interested.

I've never heard of a zorse though. And apparently bohunk is an 'ethnic slur' so be careful how you use it!

Roy said...

If you can have linner, why not bupper - a combination of breakfast and supper for those too busy to stop for lunch.