JD hülstas with a furniture compendium


Here's a scan of part of a letter I received from furniture manufacturer hülsta. I love the way it refers to 'furniture compendium' as opposed to 'furniture catalogue' – sounds much more inviting, don't you think?

I'm not sure about the second half of the highlighted sentence, though – am I being invited to hülsta? In other words, is the company using its own name as an intransitive verb?

And I must say I'm not keen on company names that don't take an initial cap. It doesn't offend me personally, but professionally it can be irritating. I worked on a monthly craft magazine for a little while and so many of the product and company names that we referred to either didn't take an initial cap or took random caps in the miDdle of worDs, which could be hard to keep track of.

(Oh, meant to say – click on the photo if you want to see a larger version.)

2 comments:

TootsNYC said...

When I am the Great Queen Copyeditor, no company will be allowed to use a lower-case letter at the beginning of its name except in signs and incredibly obvious logo designs (those using a markedly different typeface from the surrounding text).

Anonymous said...

Its a great post..well done..i really like it..